Medical Malpractice Lawyer
The Best Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Los Angeles
Expert Attorneys in Medical Malpractice
Defensor Latino: L.A.’s Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Every year in the United States, an estimated 251,000 patients die as a result of medical malpractice. In fact, medical errors are the third-leading cause of death in the country. At Defensor Latino, we firmly believe that there is no other victim more innocent than a patient who has come to a doctor seeking help but ends up injured or killed as a result. Our medical malpractice attorneys in Los Angeles are here to fight on your behalf to recover the damages you are owed following a medical error by your healthcare professional.
Do not let your doctor’s mistake financially devastate you: Defensor Latino’s medical malpractice attorneys are here to help. Schedule your free medical malpractice legal consultation with our team today!
Get a Free Consultation
Understanding Medical Malpractice Laws in L.A.
Examples of medical malpractice
It is important to understand that not every unfortunate event in a hospital or private clinic is considered medical malpractice. The medical malpractice arena is incredibly complex, which is why it is critical to have a knowledgeable attorney by your side to help you understand whether your case qualifies as a medical malpractice case. Some examples of medical malpractice cases include:
Injuries to the mother or newborn during childbirth
mistakes in prescribing medicine
Plastic surgery malpractice resulting in keloid scarring or facial/bodily disfigurement
injuries caused by mishandling transportation in an ambulance
Were you involved in Medical malpractice injury and need to know Your options?
California Law & Medical Malpractice
How to understand who is at fault?
There are three main things that patients need to be aware of when filing a medical malpractice lawsuit against their healthcare provider: the definition of medical malpractice; Statute of limitations for California medical malpractice claims; and damage caps in California medical malpractice cases.
- Definition of Medical Malpractice: Generally speaking, medical malpractice occurs when a healthcare provider has breached the standard of care while treating a patient. The breach must be the direct cause of the injury in order for a patient to have a case. “Standard of care” is a technical term used by medical professionals to refer to the generally accepted procedures and practices that any reasonable practitioner would apply when treating a patient presenting with specific diseases or symptoms. A breach of standard of care is not sufficient enough under California state law, however: Patients must also prove that the breach directly caused the injury.
- Statute of Limitations: Patients may file a medical malpractice claim for up to one year following the discovery of the act that caused their injury.
- Damage Caps: There are a few limits to the amount of damages that patients can claim under California state law. Compensatory (or economic) damages — such as medical bills or lost wages — have no limit. Non-economic damages, however, are limited to $250,000, meaning patients may only claim up to $250,000 in pain and suffering as part of their lawsuit. Punitive damages (damages awarded as a way of direct punishment to a medical professional for reckless behavior) also do not have a limit for most medical malpractice claims in California.
Have your medical malpractice case reviewed for free! Schedule your consultation with our medical malpractice attorneys today.
Medical Malpractice FAQs
How do I know if I have a medical malpractice case?
Understanding whether or not you have a medical malpractice case can be difficult as this particular arena of the law is quite complex. In general, a patient has a medical malpractice case if:
Your medical professional violated the standard of care
The violation of the standard of care directly resulted in your injuries
If you are unsure about whether or not your specific situation qualifies as medical malpractice, schedule a free consultation with our team to learn more about your legal options.
What will a Medical Malpractice attorney do for you?
At Defensor Latino, our medical malpractice attorneys will evaluate your case at no charge. If you do decide to hire us, we will refer you to a certified medical specialist that is capable of treating your injuries. Our team will advance any and all costs, and you will not pay the attorney’s fees until your case is settled.
Your Post Medical Malpractice Checklist
What should you do if you have Suffered a medical malpractice injury in L.A.?
- Preserve any and all medical records in your possession for our experts to review and analyze.
- Obtain the names of nurses, support personnel, and assisting physicians if you can prior to leaving the hospital or medical facility where the incident occurred.
- Confront the doctor whom you suspect made the mistake in your procedure or surgery.
- Wait several days or weeks to contact a medical malpractice accident attorney.
- Wait at least one year to see the results as many unscrupulous doctors have told many of our clients to do.
What to Expect
What will a Medical Malpractice Attorney do for me?
After contacting our medical malpractice attorneys for a free consultation, they will carefully review the details of your case to provide you with a thorough understanding of your legal options. Once hired, our team will hire a medical expert trained and experienced in reviewing such records at our expense. They will evaluate your claim and advise you of the best options for moving forward.
Our team will also refer you to a board-certified specialist to evaluate your injuries and the consequences of the malpractice that took place. We will provide you with a designated “medical concierge;” a member of our team dedicated to scheduling doctors’ appointments, guiding you through your treatment plan, and providing options to you even if you do not have health insurance.
You will never have to worry about medical expenses or attorney’s fees: Our team will advance any and all costs and you will not pay the attorney’s fees until your case is settled. Our team also helps you avoid court hearings, court dates, depositions, mediation hearings, and court expenses by settling 93% of cases out of court. We will only file a lawsuit on your behalf if it is absolutely necessary to secure the maximum amount of compensation to which you are entitled under the law.
Defensor Latino: L.A.’s Medical Malpractice Attorneys
Trust the Experts
At Defensor Latino, our team has a proven track record of handling and resolving medical malpractice lawsuits throughout California. We have earned extraordinary results for our clients, helping them recover the damages they are owed following harmful medical errors performed by their healthcare professionals. Remember: We do not charge a dime if we do not win! Contact our team to schedule a free medical malpractice legal consultation with Defensor Latino today.