Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs for Our Attorneys

We help answer the difficult questions

Do not see your question below? Contact Us!

Personal injury law can be quite complex, which is why it is strongly recommended that you have a knowledgeable attorney by your side to help you navigate your case. At Defensor Latino, we aim to answer all of our clients’ legal questions, helping them better understand their options for moving forward.

Get the answers you need to all of your personal injury legal questions: Contact Defensor Latino for a free personal injury consultation today!

What should I do if I was injured in an accident?

As soon as you are injured in an accident, your first call should be to Defensor Latino at (818) 726-7100 to have our team evaluate your case for free. If you are involved in a car accident, a motorcycle accident or a rideshare accident, you should contact the police to have an officer come to the scene and file a report. Victims who have suffered a slip and fall accident should request to file a report with the on-site manager or shift supervisor and either request a copy of the report or take a photo of it for their records. If you were injured in the workplace, you must file an official report with your employer within 30 days of the accident that caused your injuries. Those who have been injured due to medical malpractice should collect all of their medical records to have our specialists carefully review them.

In the event of a car accident, a motorcycle accident or a rideshare accident, the following actions should be taken prior to leaving the scene of the accident:

  • Obtain the full names and phone numbers of any witnesses.
  • Take photos of the accident.
  • Obtain the license plate number, vehicle make, and model of the at-fault driver.
  • Obtain the name, address, and phone number of the driver who caused the accident, and of all drivers involved if the accident was with multiple vehicles.
  • Request an ambulance if you feel dizzy, nauseous, have headaches, or experience double vision as these are all indicative of traumatic brain injury.

Never speak to anyone other than law enforcement and your personal injury attorney about the details of the accident.

What if the at-fault Party is not insured or under-insured?

If you are involved in a car or motorcycle accident with an uninsured or under-insured motorist, you will still follow the same steps associated with filing a personal injury lawsuit as you normally would. Many drivers in California hold uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage with their car insurance providers, allowing them to file claims with their insurance provider in the event they are involved in an accident with such a motorist. If you do not have uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage, you can file a formal lawsuit against the at-fault driver to attempt to have them pay for damages out-of-pocket.

What information do I need to file a personal injury lawsuit?

The more information you have available, the better. In general, the most successful cases are those that have the following key elements:

  • A copy of the police report, workers’ compensation form, premises incident report, or animal control report which details the incident.
  • Photographs of the condition(s) which led to your accident.
  • Witness statements.
  • Medical records.
  • The insurance carrier, license number, and vehicle information for the at-fault party.

If you are unsure about what materials you will need to properly file your personal injury lawsuit, feel free to contact Defensor Latino at (818) 726-7100 for the answers you need!

How much money should I expect from my personal injury case?

Personal injury settlements vary significantly in the amount of money they pay out to plaintiffs. According to recent Martindale-Nolo research, the average personal injury settlement falls between $3,000 and $75,000, with a 70% likelihood of being awarded. However, Defensor Latino has earned extraordinary results for our clients, with some cases resulting in over $1 million worth of recovered damages. 

How long should I wait to file?

In California, most personal injury cases must be filed within two years from the date the injury took place. If your injury is the result of medical malpractice or a workplace accident, however, you will need to file much sooner. Medical malpractice cases must be brought against the at-fault party within one year of the plaintiff noticing the injury. Workplace accidents, on the other hand, must be reported with your employer within 30 days from the accident that led to your injuries. In short, it is best to contact a personal injury attorney the moment you suspect that you may have a case on your hands rather than waiting days or weeks to get the legal counsel you need.

How much will I need to pay for my consultation?

At Defensor Latino, we do not charge for your consultation. In addition, we advance all costs for your case and we will collect our fees when your case is finished. And remember, “We do not charge if we do not win.”